The twin U.S. raids in Libya and Somalia occurred almost a month ago but they’re still worth discussing, especially in light of the movie “Captain Phillips”, which stars Tom Hanks and is based on the 2009 hijacking of an American ship by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean. The movie was released October 11. Also, I haven’t been able to lay out my thoughts on the raids until now. Overall, they signify a continuation of rendition and the expansion of U.S. militarism into Africa.
Make independent journalism possible!
Most Recent Posts
- Libya and Somalia raids — more rendition, more wars in Africa
- Guantanamo lawyers’ letter urges Obama to declassify CIA torture program details
- Privileged white people are not the only ones concerned about war
- Reporting from Guantanamo (June 10 — June 22)
- Obama’s speech on drones and Gitmo is a repackaging of permanent war
My Flickr Photos
- Daily chart: Americans overestimate social mobility in their country economist.com/blogs/graphicd… via @TheEconomist 6 hours ago
- RT @YaBoySavage_: this gif made me drop out of college my brain dont work anymore https://t.co/WuJvQpHyKR 20 hours ago
- RT @the_admo: If y'all are mad about Russian trolls posting a bunch of memes wait til you hear about the US involvement in overthrowing the… 20 hours ago
- RT @davidsirota: America is the only industrialized country with: - This level of wealth inequality - This lack of universal health care… 20 hours ago
- This is a huge reason why the media has such a huge racial/socioeconomic/cultural/regional diversity problem & is a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
February 2018 S M T W T F S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28